Friday, April 24, 2009

On backing up your files and Cat Health

I am a huge advocate for backing up your files in an off-site location (i.e. not on your PC). Doing this has been an invaluable tool for me, as I tend to have to transfer files from PC to PC a lot, or have a lot of crashes (for some reason, way too many in the past year or two).

I just put a link to Mozy backup on my page, and there it will stay. I can not advocate this service enough. It is FREE and really no-hassle at all. When your files back up, it runs in the background and does not slow down your PC - it just backs them up quietly at a scheduled time every day and you're covered in case you lose your hard drive (oh how we all hate that).

I urge everyone to get this service. 2GB free, and you can choose which files to back up.

DOOOO EEET!

This is especially handy if you have been dealing with shitty unstable computers like I have. Ugh!

Now, on to cats. I want to provide this insight and info in case anyone might have a cat they need to medicate or are wondering whether to take to the vet (unlikely, I know, but I'm a huge cat fanatic and I like to spread info).

My friend came to me and told me about her cat that had a urinary blockage. She was extremely upset because she hadn't noticed sooner and the vet told her he could have died. She said she felt like a bad cat momma because she should have been more aware. Here is what I told her:
Ah I know how you feel – when Ziggy got the cancer, I was so devastated and I spent so much trying to make him better!! It’s hard to grasp how dangerous these things can be to their health, even such a simple thing, and alarming to realize how quickly it can go downhill. You are an awesome cat momma and you DID do the best thing for him, which was to call the vet. Animals tend to not show their pain until it’s way late in the illness process. I mean, my cat sneezed out his damn tooth but he was still eating dry food! Trust me, I felt plenty bad about that, so now I’m always on top of them, getting them dental chew toys, etc.

It’s all a learning process and we do the best we can.
She also expressed concern about the medication. He has 3 meds and wasn't doing well with one of the pills. She says:
I had to give him his medicine and it didn’t go well. The pain medication is in a syringe and I had no trouble getting that to him. And this one pill is in capsule form and he took that with no problem. Opened his mouth popped it in and it went right down. This other pill is huge and he just kept spitting it out. It was awful Jackie. I even tried to but margarine on it to make it go down easier. Didn’t work. It started falling apart and it made him drool like you wouldn’t believe. I then tried mixing it in with water and giving it to him through a syringe and he just spit it out. It didn’t mix well. Have you ever had this problem? I am going to call the vet to see if they have any suggestions. He won’t take pills in food. Just eats around them.

...

It’s an antibiotic called Baytril. I have to give it to him once a day in the pm for five days.
My advice was:

I would say call the doc and tell them the pill isn’t working out for him. Baytril is one of the best antibiotics, and it DOES come in a liquid form.

The other suggestion I have is they sell these pill popper things in the stores that gets it further down their throats. I have one of those and it is a slight help. Putting the butter or margarine on it is def a good idea in any case because it can get stuck in their throats if not. Ever tried to swallow a dry pill? Ick, right!?

What I usually do when I give meds is that I get it all prepared first, get a couple of paper towels or a towel and then catch the cat. Then I sort of straddle the cat and cross my feet in the back so he can’t get out. Then you have to get your hand under his chin and sort of raise his head, open his mouth, pop in the meds and then, here’s a big part, hold their mouth shut and rub their throat or blow lightly into their nose until they swallow. It’s a real struggle any way you slice it!
Don't be afraid to advocate for your kitties!

No comments:

Post a Comment